8 Effective and Natural Cough Remedies
The day before, you were feeling a bit of malaise, wondering what why you’re feeling so weak and out of the mood all of the sudden. The next day, hell started to break loose. What started as a sense of feeling out of sorts became cough paroxysms. Your throat is itchy all the time and you are coughing all the time when you aren’t attempting to breathe. Although coughing is considered to be a protective reflex for the body, you’re just so tired of coughing every single second. You feel like your breathing is constricted and you become increasingly restless and tired of coughing that you decide to look various cough remedies. Fortunately, there are literally numerous cough treatments you can choose from, all of which claimed to help get rid of the coughing episodes you’ve been experiencing. Here are some of the most popular home cough remedies today:
1. Tea or warm lemon water with honey. You may ask “Wait, isn’t this for cold?” The truth is, it is. But this concoction is also known to suppress coughing. A study reveals that honey has the equal efficacy in suppressing cough when compared to dextromethorphan in the over-the-counter doses in children aged 2 years old and above given 2 teaspoons of honey. It’s cheap and it’s available so you don’t have to worry about exhausting your finances over this cough treatment. However, if you’re thinking of giving this remedy to children younger than a year old, stop. Giving honey to infants provides a huge risk of infant botulism, a rare and complicated form of food poisoning.
2. Aromatherapy. A good combination of sweet-smelling inhaled steam is one of the best cough remedies Not only will it help liquefy the mucus trapped in your lungs, especially for those suffering from congested cough, it is also helpful in reducing the irritation brought about by constant coughing. A good combination of herbs for aromatherapy includes cedar, jasmine, myrrh, eucalyptus, cypress, pine, thyme, peppermint and cypress. You can use an infuser to really help take out the scent or you can also vaporize out in steam, depending on your own preference.
3. Licorice root. Yes, licorice isn’t only meant to be a candy, it can also help cure dry, raspy cough that is the most irritating form of cough. All you need to do is get about five grams of powdered licorice root and combine it with honey or ½ teaspoon to a cup of water. It is recommended that you take at least three cups of this concoction on a daily basis. Licorice is effective in suppressing cough because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a proven expectorant, which means it helps the mucus in the lungs liquefy so that it’s easier to get rid of it.
4. Garlic. Home cough remedies are popular and have been used continuously over the generation for a reason and that’s because it’s effective. Garlic is one of the most commonly used home remedies around the world. To help suppress cough, you can dice or crush a clove of garlic. Then, you should put it in a bowl, combine with honey, cover with plastic wrap and marinate overnight. Once you awaken, take at least one teaspoon. You can also take it throughout the day whenever you need it.
5. Apple cider vinegar. Your grandmother was right when she told you that apple cider vinegar can treat almost everything. As it so happens, it is also a good treatment for cough. There are three different methods in using the apple cider vinegar for cough. The first one is to merely spray your pillowcase with apple cider vinegar before you head for bed. Another method is to combine 1 or 2 teaspoons of the apple cider vinegar with a glass of water. You can drink this concoction when you feel the itchiness starting in the back of your throat. The last option is to mix the apple cider vinegar with half a cup of honey. You can take this concoction before you’re headed for bed or when you feel that you’re about to go through another coughing episode. Remember to stir well before taking it. Apple cider vinegar helps liquefy the mucus and it also helps decrease the inflammation, which can help you breathe easier and cough less.
6. Bee balm. This is one of the ancient Native American cough remedies. It is also typically used for treatment of colds. To use this, take at least two teaspoons of fresh bee balm leaves. If you opt to use for dried leaves, you should only use one teaspoon. Put it in a cup with hot water and allow the water to infuse with the leaves by covering the cup and leaving it for four minutes. Drink the mixture thrice a day. Thanks to the bee balm’s antiseptic properties, it has the ability to decrease inflammation usually found in respiratory infections.
7. Cayenne Pepper. This is known to help boost the immune system, which can help decrease the infection. It can also help clear congestion. To use cayenne pepper as one of the cough remedies, you need to get at least ¼ to ½ teaspoon of pepper and mix it with a glass of water. This concoction is what you should gargle to help relieve the itchiness in your throat. Another option that you have is to take about 15-20 drops of Tabasco sauce and mix it with a glass of juice or water.
8. Hyssop. Known for its marrubiin components, which has the exact compound used to create horehound and is a marvelous expectorant, hyssop is a wonderful treatment for simple respiratory problems including cough and colds. To use the hyssop, you will need at least two teaspoons of dried hyssop. Add them to approximately one cup of boiling water. Keep it covered for about ten minutes to infuse the water with the oils of the hyssop. You can then strain it to get rid of the leaves. You have the option of drinking the concoction hot so as to help relieve congestion in your lungs or to drink cold so as to help you dissolve the mucus.
Remember that all these cough remedies may or may not work for you. Make sure that you aren’t allergic to any of the remedies mentioned here before trying them out. It is also important to talk to your doctor before trying out any of these home remedies.8 Effective and Natural Cough Remedies,
Related posts:A Guide to Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss
Home Remedies for Heartburn
Natural Gout Treatments
Natural Remedies For Gout
Home Remedies for Poison Oaks – The Top 5 Home Remedies